Welcome to the WriteGirl Clubhouse!
A place only for YOU. RSVP to our upcoming workshop! Get your work out there! Submit your writing for publication and scholarship opportunities.
WriteGirl workshops are for teen girls only. Event details will be sent by email. RSVP below!
RSVP for the WriteGirl Fiction Workshop!
Saturday, December 9, 2017 (10am - 4:30pm)
FICTION WORKSHOP - The Huntington – Haaga Hall
Saturday, January 13, 2018 (10am - 4:30pm)
POETRY WORKSHOP - Japan America Museum / MOCA at the Geffen / Democracy Forum
Saturday, March 3, 2018 (10am - 4:30pm)
SONGWRITING WORKSHOP: The Huntington – Haaga Hall
LA Times High School Insider — Students post their stories on LATimes.com to report on the issues that matter to them. If you're interested in getting involved send an email to Kyle.Finck@latimes.com.
#PoetWe Campaign, launched by WriteGirl alumna Amanda Gorman, is a national initiative that invites students to write poetry about why creative writing and the arts matter.
One Teen Story is looking for great short stories written by teens about the teen experience. Deadline: May 31, 2018
Teen Ink Magazine: If you are ages 13-19 and you'd like to be published in this online magazine, you can submit an original work of poetry, fiction or non-fiction. Rolling deadlines.
Rookie is an online magazine that’s always looking for submissions of fiction, nonfiction, essays (not school essays), rants, raves, humor, poetry from teens.
CICADA is a YA lit/comics magazine fascinated with the lyric and strange and committed to work that speaks to teens’ truths. Call for Submissions: Monsters. Deadline: December 1, 2017.
YARN is an online literary journal that publishes creative writing for young adult readers, ages 14-18, and features work by young people alongside adult writers.
Canvas Literary Journal asks writers ages 13-18 to submit in the areas of fiction, memoir, poetry, playwriting, nonfiction, new media and cross-genre.
- A great list of writing contests, year-round
- Scholastic Art & Writing Awards recognize the creative work of students from grades 7-12. Deadline: December 7, 2017.
- The GE- Reagan Foundation Scholarship Program is offering up to $40,000 in scholarships to high school seniors who demonstrate exceptional leadership. Deadline: January 4, 2018.
- "The Tomorrow Prize" Short Science Fiction Writing Competition identifies and nurtures the up-and-coming science fiction writing talent of Los Angeles County. Deadline: Feb. 26, 2018.
- The Lake Effect High School Poetry Competition invites high school students across the nation to submit poems. Deadline: 11:59 p.m. EST on Wednesday, November 15.
California Young Playwrights Contest. Playwrights Project's annual statewide playwriting contest is open to all Californians under the age of 19 as of June 1, 2018. Deadline: June 1, 2018.
events in Los Angeles
Literary Happenings in LA — Your one stop for all the most exciting literary events in the LA area.
CTG Theatre Crash Course for high school students! This FREE three-session workshop series is for high school students, whether you’re curious about theatre or are already in love with the art form. Wednesdays, 4:30–7:30pm, October 25, November 1 & 8 at the Music Center Annex in downtown LA (you must be available for all 3 workshops to participate).